Sunday 6 June 2010

Egg Toast




Makes 5 - 6 slices


This was yet another of my childhood favourite breakfast.

It is very similar to French toast.

But we don't have it sweet but in fact I do eat

it with chili sauce. Kids..But I still do it till now.:)


Ingredients:


2 large eggs

Pinch of salt

5-6 slices of white bread

Vegetable oil




Directions:


1. Beat eggs and salt together in a shallow bowl.

2. Heat oil a non stick frying pan on medium heat.

Drizzle oil a teaspoon of oil for 1-2 slices of bread.

3. Evenly coat each slice of bread gently

with egg mixture on each side.

4. Slowly place coated bread into middle of pan.

Cook for 15 - 30 seconds on each side till golden brown.

5. Repeat step till all egg mixture is finished.

6. Place onto paper towel to soak extra oil before serving.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Nam. I love your recipes. Especially the more ethnic ones. Having grown in Europe, and now residing in the US, I was stunned to see your egg toast recipe. My grandma used to make me exactly the same breakfast...but we were living in Bulgaria then. It is usually eaten with jam, honey, sugar, or even feta cheese! Amazing how some recipes are staples to different cuisines! Small world after all?! Keep up the great work, and can you please put your version, if you have one, of the famous Bali meat ball soup? I've read it's delicious, and would love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nameera,from my childhood recollection,my relatives would usually end up deep frying this bread beaten with egg ,salt and pepper and serve them to their house guests or simply for afternoon tea.At times,they would add a spoonful of sambal into the egg mixture to give it the extra kick or simply serve it with leftover sambal tumis.The deep frying part puts me off now i think about it and pan frying works just as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Anonymous & Zee,

    Thank u so much for finding time and drop your comments. Feels great that my recipe relates to both of you from are from dirrefent background. It's amazing we all do share the same staple in our beautiful chillhood.

    As for Anonymous, i have made my own simple version of the Indonesia beefball noodles. It's called "Mee Bakso". I do hope you will like it.

    As for Zee, yes pan frying works very well for us whom are prefer the healthier choice. :)

    It great to hear from you readers. Just let me know which dish for me to try! I be glad to do that.

    Till then,
    Nam

    ReplyDelete