(Makes 28 large peirogi)
Here is my very first attempt in making one of my husband's favourite Polish food. I love to make him feel like home. To be able to enjoy his childhood favourites. Peirogi is very similar to curry puffs but differs in the dough ingredients. Peirogi needs to be boiled then pan fried. I was very lucky with my first try and i choose to have mince fillings in stead of potato and cheese. It was a hit..
3 cups of all purpose flour
200 ml sour cream
1 teaspoon baking powder
Good pinch of salt
250 grams mince
2 small onions (chopped)
1 tablespoon maggi seasoning
Dash of crushed chili
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 medium onions (chopped)
1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
2. Beat the eggs and sour cream together till smooth and pour in mixture with
the flour and combine till dough comes together.
3. Knead lightly on a lightly floured surface till stickiness is gone and dough is firm ans smooth.
Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 20-30 mins.
4. Heat up oil in pan and saute the onions and mince for 2-3 mins.
Season well and cook for another 5 mins. Set aside to cool.
5. Take dough out of fridge and let it rest in room temperature for 5 mins. Cut dough in half and roll out dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut into 3 inch rings. I use a drinking glass, make sure you lightly floured the rim of the glass so it won't stick with the dough.
6. Place a small spoonful of fillings into the centre of each round.
Press the edges together and seal it with tines of forks.
7. You can choose to cook you peirogi right away or you can refrigerate them
(uncooked) for several days for freeze it for several months.
8. Boil peirogi a few at a time in a large pot of boliing water with a pinch of salt.Once peirogi is done it will float (about 5-7 mins) remove with slotted spoon,rinse with cool water and let them dry.
9. Saute onions with the butter in a large frying pan for 5 mins.
Finally add in the and fry till lightly crispy and golden brown and serve.