Here is the simplest turkey recipe which i got from my Kitchen Lover.. Jamie Oliver. I changed the stuffing ingredients here and there and i don't eat pork or ham. For those of you who been so afraid to do a turkey thinking its a messy and a huge hassle . You're very wrong. Here is one which i find truly easy to do..
8- 10 pounds of Turkey (defrosted)
50 grams butter
1 sprig of fresh sage
2 cloves of garlic
1 handful of dried apricots (chopped)
4 sticks of celery (chopped)
2 medium red onions (chopped)
1 handful of breadcrumbs
Zest of lemon
1 large egg
Teaspoon of nutmeg
Pinch of chili flakes
1 large orange
12 fresh rosemary sprigs
Freshly ground black pepper
1000 ml of chicken/vegetable stock.
2-3 tablespoons of plain flour
1. Preheat your oven to maximum.
2. Heat butter in a pan on medium heat and throw all the ingredients in B except the apricots.
3. Once the mixture is soft and browned then add in the apricots. Stir for 5 minutes.
4. Remove pan from heat and stir while waiting the mixture to cool down.
5. Once the mixture is cool stir in the rest of ingredients C. Season well and set aside.
6. Here is the tricky part. Wipe the turkey dry inside out with a paper towel. Place the turkey on a board with the neck towards you. Find the edges of the skin which is covering the breast.
7. Slowing pull it back and run your fingers then hand under the skin to loosen the skin from the meat. Don't be afraid, just work gently to make sure you don't tear any holes to the skin.
Keep the sides attached to hold the stuffing in place.
Make sure you do this to the whole beast are so you have enough space for the stuffing
8. Now gently take spoonfuls of the stuffing, i use my hands to fill in the stuffing in
between the skin and the meat.
9. Gently press down the stuffing with your hand over the skin to ensure it evenly spread.
Make sure you don't have any spillage on the sides.
10. Place the turkey on a large roasting tray and rub the whole turkey with olive oil, black
pepper and salt generously. Do make sure you don't over do it.
11. Prick the orange and stuff the orange in the cavity.
12. Carefully stab the tights and the drumsticks of the turkey with a knife to make hole just
enough to push the fresh rosemary. I do make a few on the breast.
13. Now cover the turkey with foil and put it in the oven.
14. Calculate the cooking time(20 min to 500 grams/1 lbs 2 oz)
15. Turn down the heat to 180 deg and roast for the calculate time.
16. Carefully take out the foil for the last 45 Min's to brown the turkey.
17. Once turkey is done carefully transfer to board and cover loosely for 20 Min's.
18. Drain all the fats and juices from the tray into a small pan.
19. Add in ingredients E and whisk gently till mixture is well combined on high heat.
20. Carve your turkey and serve with sauce..