Sotong hitam (Squid ink gravy)...
One of my husband's favourite dish... I was very surprised that he will love it... It a simple dish that use the squid's ink for the intense colour. One of my first few dishes that i mastered since young.
6 medium squids (head and soft bone removed, and
cut into 4 or 5 lengthwise.)
4 squid inks (slowly peel it off located below the head)
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 lemon grass ( bruised)
2 tablespoon chili paste
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 teaspoon maggi seasoning
2 green chilies ( cut slantwise)
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
1. Blend onion and garlic till smooth.
2. Heat oil in pot.
3. Once oil is hot add in the blended mixture, chili paste and lemongrass.
4. Stir till fragrant for 15 -20 Min's.
5. Add in the squid inks, stirring and breaking it till paste turns dark and black.
6. Add in the squids and season well with salt and maggi seasoning.
7. Lastly throw in the chilies and water and let it simmer for 15-20 Min's.
8. Don't over cook it as the squid tends to be rubbery.
Serve with hot steamed rice...